What happens if I lose mental capacity and there is no Lasting Power of Attorney in place?

If you have lost capacity and are no longer in sound mind, a Deputy will have to be appointed to act on your behalf by the Court of Protection if there is no Power of Attorney in place.

Your loved ones will have to apply to the Court to appoint a Deputy for you, this could lead to a lengthy, stressful, and costly process for them and you. The Court may not appoint the person(s) you would wish to make decisions on your behalf. It is good practice to put these documents in place whilst you are fit and healthy just in case they are needed in the future. Capital Life can assist you in choosing the right person(s) to act on your behalf and ensuring the forms are all filled in correctly.